Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Henry is officially 2!

If you asked Henry any time in the last 3 months how old he is his answer was a proud "2!" Of course, up until last Friday, that was an embellishment.

We spent his birthday making preparations for his party on Saturday. We took a trip to Raley's to visit his favorite cookie lady at the bakery and buy some last minute party stuff. He got to pick out Ice cream flavors (mint chocolate chip and Neapolitan were his choices, I was surprised at how picky he was.) He also chose a special dinner for that evening... big surprise, it was chicken nuggets and tator tots. We had a fun evening as a family, gave him one gift, and went to Baskin Robbins for some birthday ice cream. It was a great day!

It didn't really end there though. I stayed up until 1:30 am finishing up his cake! This was a really big deal to Henry. I often say that Henry's mind is made up of 90% baseball and 10% cake. Anytime we mentioned his birthday for weeks in advance he would shout "CAKE!" as though to let us know this was his top priority on that day! There will be more about the cake in the pictures... all I can say is it was difficult, (so don't ask me to make one for your kid) and it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped (but I am a perfectionist.)

His Yo Gabba Gabba party was awesome! We had almost all of our family there, though we missed Dylan who was very sick, and Uncle Kalen who was taking care of him. He got so many toys we are donating a huge bag of his old ones to the ward nursery! I couldn't believe how excited he got at present time! It was hilarious... even with the cards he would scream with delight, then run around and show everyone. SO CUTE!

I am so proud to be Henry's mommy. He is such a good boy and is always showing love to others. I am positively crazy about this kid!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY!!!!


MaryEllen and Emmett got Henry this Cookie Monster farmer. He is kind of obsessed with Cookie Monster.

I cut the shape of these characters out of gum paste (kind of like fondant but dries hard...almost tastes like a necco wafer.) let them dry for 48 hours, then I painted on their features with food coloring gel and food safe markers.



DJ Lance Rock sans glasses and fluffy hat.

The finished product. My major concern with this cake was that my grandpa, who is 80, and like many very old white men, is a little racist, would be opposed to eating a cake with a black guy popping out of the top. Luckily for us, he kept his comments to himself.








It's Dancey - dance time!!!



Quite a haul, eh?



Aunt Patrice was nearly attacked by this herd of kids who all wanted to see the Plex Key- taur close up!

Henry was so excited at the party about his presents and guests, he hardly ate a bite of the much anticipated cake. Here he is relishing every morsel of the last piece the next day after church.




3 comments:

Sheila said...

Holy cow, where to start?? Henry is SUCH A BIG BOY!! Oh my gosh, where did my little Henry go? I swear, he's not that big!! Ok, I guess it's been a while Lori, we really need to get together. And that cake, I'm so impressed! I wish I knew anything at all about Yo Gabba Gabba, I might have even more appreciation for all the stuff, but the details and everything is SO COOL! I'm very (as always) impressed with your cake abilities!

Nicole Hernandez said...

You are a very talented lady! I'm sorry we haven't seen you at the library lately. Lucia will be doing morning kindergarten-how about MaryEllen? Maybe we could work out a time for them to play.

Shan B. said...

A boy after my own heart. One thing I ALWAYS want on my birthday is a cake. Is that so much to ask for. I don't even care if it's all creative like yours was...I JUST WANT CAKE!!! Wow!!! Way to go on the cake. I just usually do cupcakes or a cake with frosting. You & so many other moms are just WAY too crafty when it comes to parties. Great job & we live Yo Gabba Gabba no matter what anyone says. Happy Birthday Henry!!!