Friday, August 7, 2009

Spinning plates

Lately I feel like a bit of a sideshow act. You know the spinning plates guy. He must keep all the plates spinning or one will fall... and the more plates he adds the harder it gets. I just want to go through a few of my plates here, so that everyone can see why I have let my blogging plate fall to the ground a few times.

Plates 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5: My Family. Actually , Emmett probably counts for 3 or 4 plates on his own, and Henry, because he is almost 2, counts for at least that many. MaryEllen is going through a helpful phase, so take away 1 plate, but she is also going through a whiny phase, so you can add 2 for the headache she gives me nearly everyday. Brian actually isn't a plate. He is like a partner in my routine. But unfortunately, it is MY routine and there are only so many plates he can take off of my hands at any given time.

Next plate: Housework. I know, I know, I am a housewife. I should expect that there is going to be housework. But I SWEAR! Sometimes it feels like no matter how much I clean, how much LAUNDRY I do, how many times I do the dishes a day, it NEVER GETS DONE!!!! I know I should accept that it will never get it done and just let some of it go, but truth be told, it makes me crazier to live with it than to try to keep up and fail. That plate I just keep dropping. (It must be
Correll, because it never breaks.)

Next plate: Uppercase Living. This one has slowed to a near stop on multiple occasions. But every time I tell Brian I am going to throw in the towel and stop trying, I get a new order from a past client. Or someone calls and finally wants to book that open house she planned on 6 months ago. Right now I am at a standstill. The plate is just barely hanging on, because I have no bookings and the new Catalog just came out with TONS of new product and awesome options for designing your own stuff and I am totally overwhelmed!! (If anyone is interested, please visit my website. This is not a sales pitch, I just really love this stuff. http://lori.uppercaseliving.net )

We had a stomach flu hit our house and all of the plates dropped
momentarily for about 3 1/2 days, but were back now.

We have had fun plates, too over the past few weeks. Here are a few:

I got to sing the National anthem at the 5K for Alzheimer's Aid a few weeks ago and I was introduced by Mayor Kevin Johnson. That was Awesome. (Aren't you glad Heather Fargo didn't win? It isn't as exciting to say "I was introduced by Mayor Heather Fargo." Sorry Fargo fans.) I ran the 5K and MaryEllen did the kids fun run. Emmett even went along on it with my mom and finished at a pretty decent time for a 4 month old.

MaryEllen started soccer and Brian is her coach. He does an awesome job and the girls all seem to really love him. Mary Ellen looks so cute in her little soccer get- up!

I went to see Julie & Julia with my mom and Grandma. I was the youngest person in the theater, but funnier than that, my mom, at 52 was probably the second youngest! It was a sea of white, grey and dyed Ashe blond heads. We loved the movie. If Meryl Streep doesn't win an Oscar for her portrayal as Julia Child it will be a crime! 15 minutes into the movie I had already forgotten that she wasn't Julia herself! I highly recommend the movie, it is very very cute.

I almost forgot one of my most time consuming and exhausting plates! P90X!!! Brian and I are on day 12 of the 90 day extreme home fitness program and let me tell you... it is EXTREME!!! It was created by a guy named Tony Horton who is totally crazy, but in a really likable way. We do a different routine every night of the week and they range anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 hours of CONSTANT work. I wake up sore every day BUT I LOVE IT!!! I plan on posting before and after photos every 30 days, so you can look forward to the first installment in a couple of weeks.

I guess that's it. It seems like a lot when I'm actually living it, but when I look at it all written down it doesn't seem quite as bad. I think what I am starting to realize is this. It's just like I said at the
beginning, the more plates you add, the harder it gets... but here's the kicker: That also makes it all the more amazing and rewarding when you can accomplish it! I may not have all of my plates spinning super fast all of the time, and I may drop one on occasion, but I chose to be a plate spinner. This is my sideshow and I'm sticking to it!



Emmett fell asleep and his pacifier gave him this pig nose. TOO CUTE!

Look at that face!


I love this guy!


MaryEllen and her cousin Brianna at the finish line. Henry cheered for them the whole time!

Brian's Uncle Al and Aunt Zella came to visit last Sunday. MaryEllen took both of these pictures.



I made this cute blanket and burp cloths for my friends new baby girl. Congrats Bonnie and Sean!

5 comments:

the hamms said...

It sounds like you have some really awesome plates in your life. I am really happy for you. I have some pretty cool plates as well. And don't worry about dropping the blogging plate, just as long as you pick us up again when you can, I love hearing about your dishes.

Francais Frit said...

Cute post! Makes up for lost time. Good work.

JSL, ABE&H said...

All I have to say is AMEN!

The JNJ Hasleton's said...

P90X rocks!

I can't stand those Correll plates either.

Keep up the good work!

Nicole said...

Hey you could join the circus with that act, Jk. I always wondered about p90X and what all the hype is about, looking forward to your pics. And you did great at the race, we cheered like crazy for ya!