Thursday, January 7, 2010

Christmas

Overall, we had a good Christmas this year, but it was definitely a challenging week. Our kids were SUPER sick from just before Christmas until just after New Year's, so we couldn't focus completely on the holidays, we had to focus on getting the kids well.

It started 2 days before Christmas with Emmett. He had a fever around 102 for a day or so before then, so I took him into the doctor, who of course could see nothing wrong except the fever. (waste of a $10 copay!) She said to just keep an eye on him.

We spent Christmas eve with my family and had a fabulous time eating, opening presents and celebrating Elliot's 6th birthday, but my mind was on Emmett the whole time... he was still hot and not acting himself at all. He seemed okay that night when I put him to bed, but I checked on him at 2 am (which is when I went to bed! I had to stay up and finish making his stocking!) and he was BURNING UP! I took his temperature and he was up to 104.7!!! I was so scared, but thankfully Brian was home with me and together we worked on getting his temp down and spoke with the doctor on the phone, who said we would be better off keeping him at home and giving him cool baths and medicine than taking him in to the ER. We both stayed up with him literally all night. His fever finally broke at about 4:30 am.

Needless to say, at 6:00 when Henry and MaryEllen woke up, neither of us were in very good shape. We opened presents and stockings, which I barely remember, and I went back to bed. About 3 hours later Brian and I switched off and he went to bed, while I tried to make the house presentable for his family who were coming for dinner and presents. I decided as I walked around in a stupor, just barely conscious, that there was no way I could make the complicated dinner I had planned... so, much to my dismay, we had pizza for dinner on Christmas.

Over the next few days MaryEllen and Henry each got the dreaded fever, and on top of that they had raspy coughs, which leads us to believe they had some kind of nasty flu. But neither of them got as bad as Emmett that night. It is SUCH a relief that they are all healthy now and everything is back to normal, and shockingly, I NEVER GOT IT!!! YAY!!!!

I didn't take very many pictures, but I did get a few good ones.


I was given the honor of making Elliots birthday cake this year, and since he is crazy for Super Mario Bros. I had no choice but to do a Mario theme. The one thing its' missing? Mario. I had intended to buy a figurine for the top, but after searching for a week, I couldn't find one anywhere!



MaryEllen and her Gingerbread house. Thanks Grandma Pepe!


All he wanted for Christmas was a sword... and he got one in his stocking! Thanks Santa!


the opening frenzy!



ME got a cleaning set... hope she can take a hint!


A Diego doodle pro for our budding artist.


The baby loved all of his noisy presents!


The kids and I made Brian this "Daddy of 3" shirt on Zazzle.com. Thanks Makana for the idea! We made them for all of the grandparents, too, and they were a huge hit!


Santa brought Henry this awesome Lightning McQueen Big Wheel!


Clara got a huge candy cane shaped rawhide. She could barely lift it off the ground!


Henry got this huge Hershey bar in his stocking. I had intended to give it to him in little bits, but I turned around one day and this is what I saw. At least he sat at the table!

There were no pictures of my presents, but once again Brian outdid himself. He got me a spa day at the Arden hills Country Club and a Cuisinart electric fondue pot. Does my man spoil me or what?!!! Love you Goose!!!!

5 comments:

Nick and Cristina Anderson said...

Oh I'm so glad you guys are well again! Sounds like the dreaded Swine flu! Isn't Christmas so wonderful with older kids? Noah really got into it this year. BTW I saw Brian the other day in the club parking lot, but he couldn't tell you I said Hi because he didn't want you to be suspicious :) Hopefully we'll see you soon!

Francais Frit said...

Oh my, I had no idea what a Christmas Day you had!

If there is any consolation, your Mario cake was amazing and Elliot loved every delicious bite of it.

Also, I love that photo of Henry with the chocolate bar- something about it makes me want to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Shirley said...

how scary about emmett's fever! so glad everyone is ok now.
that stinks that you couldn't find a mario figure for the cake. Christopher has an old Luigi you could have borrowed. oh well. The cake looked freaking awesome anyways!
I almost bought that same cleaning set for Anabelle! too bad Santa was too poor this year. :)
Merry late Christmas!
shirley

makana said...

1. LOVE LOVE the cake
2. We had sick bug hit us too.. still recovering.
3. LOVE the shirt! It looks great!

Sheila said...

Sooooo, when are we coming over for foundue!?!?!--is that part of Brian's diet? Nice pics btw, lookin buff! Congrats on your success!!